Sr. Counsel - Payment Products
We're looking for a rock star lawyer to support our Dapper payment team.
The ideal candidate knows the in’s and out’s of acquirer & merchant relationships, card payment rules, has strong commercial experience with providers in the payments space, and wants to live and breathe Web3. They thrive in a fast-paced organization with multiple constituencies ranging from product, fraud, risk, customer success, to the board and executive team.
A little about us:
Dapper Labs is the NFT company behind CryptoKitties and the Flow blockchain as well as current titles like NBA Top Shot. Founded in 2018, Dapper Labs uses blockchain technology to bring new forms of digital engagement to fans around the world. Blockchain-enabled applications can bring fans closer with the brands they love, give people a real stake in the communities they contribute to, and create new ways for consumers to become creators themselves. Publicly-announced Dapper Labs partners include the NBA and NBPA, Warner Music Group, Ubisoft, and UFC. Notable investors in Dapper Labs include Andreessen Horowitz, Union Square Ventures, Venrock, Google Ventures, Samsung, and the founders of Dreamworks, Reddit, Coinbase, Zynga, and AngelList, among others.
Dapper team members are humble and curious entrepreneurs, builders, and tinkerers who share a passion to demystify blockchain technology and tap its potential to create change in the world. Our people are our greatest strength: our diverse crew flourishes in a distributed hierarchy where personal autonomy and professional growth are encouraged. We value our culture above else: regardless of where you came from, what you studied, or who you used to work for, your role here will necessitate both a high level of creativity and strategic thinking on complex issues. Everyone here is a founder, and no one fits in a box. We’re all driven by an insatiable thirst for learning and development, and that’s what brings us together.
What we’ll accomplish together:
- Guide and support Dapper payment products on legal, regulatory, and card rules globally.
- Identify and implement current and future payment strategy in close collaboration with the product team.
- Support our strategic payment partners and advise and negotiate partner relationships, working closely with our commercial legal team.
A little about you:
- You have deep payments, money service business, and card rule experience at well funded, late-stage, fast growth companies, in software, blockchain, financial services, entertainment gaming, or similar types of industries.
- A J.D. degree and a state bar member in good standing, as well as the ability to operate and execute like someone with minimum of 8-12 years of combined law firm, government and/or in-house experience, with a strong emphasis of that experience in-house.
- You thrive under pressure from multiple angles, laugh a lot, and enjoy working with passionate people.
- Have developed an extensive network of acquirer, banking, payments, and card system contacts.
- You have experience working and negotiating directly with the major players in the payments ecosystem.
- You are capable of applying your skills yourself, with a team, across a variety of use cases and you are an expert at written communication (as we’re a remote first culture).
- We believe in processes and the power of planning, but you will often have to pivot and reprioritize, focusing on the most impactful tasks.
A little more about us:
- Flexible vacation & remote work policy - as we accomplish our goals, time off is more than a must. Most team members take between 15-20 days off per year, but we have no hard limit for our high impact individuals.
- Diverse opportunities for learning and development - we provide resources for conferences, classes, books, and other opportunities to maintain and expand your skill set and professional growth.
- Fitness reimbursements - stay fit with our reimbursements for health-related benefits like gym memberships, fitness apps, and personal training.
- Top-Line equipment - in addition to receiving a company smartphone of your choice with a paid voice/data plan, every team member receives a generous equipment budget to try new gadgets, tools, and platforms.
- Flexible parental leave policies - We understand the importance and demands of a growing family. In addition to state, provincial, and federal leave allowances, parents on the team have the flexibility to work from home or take days off when family needs to come first.
- Fully remote role but if you live in Vancouver you can head to our office in Vancouver, fuel up with healthy snacks and coffee, get fit with an onsite gym, recover with onsite RMT/acupuncturist, and meet the many furry friends of our dog-friendly office!
At Dapper Labs we recruit the best and foster an environment that empowers our team. That means a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, and open-minded. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, regardless of race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability. Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed in the above requirements. Our values include continuous improvement and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and believe that this is the position that will make you excited to work every day, then we want to hear from you!
More about Dapper Labs:
Dapper Labs is the world's first blockchain entertainment company. We are the creators of industry-leading experiences including CryptoKitties and NBA Top Shot, as well as Dapper Wallet, the simplest way to manage your assets and use the blockchain. We are also the original developers behind Flow, a new decentralized blockchain designed from the ground up for scalability and ease of use.
Our mission at Dapper Labs is to make the world a more open, empowering, and enjoyable place through consumer adoption of decentralized technologies. We have raised over $600M from leading VCs including Fred Wilson (USV) and Chris Dixon as well as Venrock, Samsung, Google Ventures, Coatue, NBA players, and global artists, among others. Dapper Labs partners include the NBA and NBPA, the NFL-PA, Ubisoft, Warner Music, Turner, Dr. Seuss, Genies, and the UFC, as well as 100+ others.
Your application has been successfully submitted.